Coming down with a cold when you share an apartment for rent almost always leads to a widespread epidemic amongst the roommates. Living in a communal apartment is not very conducive to quarantine.
There are, however, some preventative steps you can take that may mitigate the spread of disease. At the very least, your roommates will appreciate your undertaking to keep them healthy.
Here is a quick list of things you can do to help keep your roommates and apartment, healthy when you are sick:
- Disinfect your couch with Lysol or by washing pillow and cushion covers in the laundry. As the most communal 3×10 feet in the apartment, as well as the typical recovery zone, this is a good place to start.
- In your bedroom, wash your sheets and pillow cases, towels more frequently and keep the room ventilated
- In your bathroom, be sure to keep all your toiletries separate and disinfect your sink, shower and toilet
- Wash glasses, pots, pans and dishes and wipe down countertops more frequently. Try to keep the kitchen ventilated and disinfected as well.
- Prepare for the inevitable. Stock up on chicken soup, cold medicine, orange juice and other recuperative items so that if or when your roommates do indeed get sick, they can recover as quickly as possible so the whole cycle doesn’t begin again.
Hopefully, following this quick sanitary tips will help you and your roommates recover from illness as quickly as possible, without resulting in a full-fledge all apartment outbreak. That would be disastrous.