Yesterday, we posted an article entitled Stuff You Need for Your Apartment Rental’s Kitchen, which featured a list of items that every apartment for rent needs to run smoothly. We tried to create a comprehensive list, asked for your input and focused especially on those items that are necessary yet often overlooked.
(photo courtesy of Pia Jean Kristiansen)
Today, we want to follow up on that list with a new one that includes the basic food items you will want to get when you first move into your new apartment rental. Included are food items that provide a good base that will enable you to prepare meals without too much hassle.
Our suggestions are below. Let us know if you suggest any additions!
Food for the Pantry:
- All purpose Flour and Granulated Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking soda
- Chicken and Beef Broth
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Vegetable Oil
- Vinegar – Balsamic and/or Red Wine
- Coffee and Tea
- Tomato sauce or cans of pureed tomatoes
- Crackers and Cookies
- Assorted Spices (basics that come in handy in recipes- garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary)
- Canned Soups
Food for the Fridge and other Perishables
- Bread, Butter and Eggs
- Fresh Garlic, Onions and Potatoes
- Milk and Juice
- Fruits and Vegetables (frozen and fresh)
- Salad Dressing
- Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Tabasco, Soy Sauce
- Cheese and Deli Meats
These basic food items should provide a decent cupboard so that when you go back to the grocery store you can focus on purchasing the main items that are included in recipes. It is frustrating when you have to run back to the store because you don’t have any eggs or parsley.
Let us know what food items you would first get when you move into your apartment rental. I am sure we left some stuff off of this list.